Community Action Updates
4.6.2020 Agency Updates
4.1.2020 Agency Updates
- See Iowa Legal Aid’s page for updates regarding stimulus payments, evictions, foreclosures, SNAP benefits, and more. I highly suggest you read these important updates!!!
- Staff please see the 4/1/20 Employee News from Sheri under Current Employees.
3.27.2020 Community Action Updates
- All neighborhood center emergency food pantries are open daily. Please call your local center for a pickup appointment.
- Donations of pantry and hygiene items are appreciated. If anyone in your home is ill or has been exposed, please refrain from donating at this time.
- Agency Overview Update 3.27.2020
3.26.2020 Community Action Updates
- Federal Notice of Families First Coronavirus Response Act – Explaining paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave.
- Staff please see the current employee section for the 3.26.20 update from Sheri.
- Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) has been extended until May 31, 2020. Disconnects will not go out until May 1, 2020 if you qualified for LIHEAP and still owe your utility. Apply for LIHEAP online or call your local center to apply.
3.25.2020 Community Action Updates
- Central Office is closed to the general public. Please call with questions: 319-753-0193
3.23.2020 Community Action Updates
- Head Start classrooms are closed until April 13, 2020. Food distribution is occurring.
- Local neighborhood centers are staffed but locked. Please call your local center to make an appointment to pick up food, assistance by phone, or other needed help.
- Many specialists are working from home and connecting with client families by means other than face-to-face.
Other Agency Updates
- 3.30.2020 Iowa Workforce Development
- UNEMPLOYMENT for those related for COVID-19: For those who are SELF-EMPLOYED, independent contractors, nonprofit employees, and gig economy workers, or requesting an extension of benefits and are not currently filing weekly claims, please submit your initial application now.
- Claims that are filed and identified as a direct or indirect result of COVID-19, will not be charged to employers. Fact-finding interviews for these claims will be waived and not be held although employers will be notified of claims received.
- Gov Reynolds Assistance Announcement
- Information regarding COVID-19 extension of benefits
- IWD’s Facebook post regarding updates
- 3.30.2020 Iowa Utility Board notice regarding shutoff notices and disconnects for utilities in Iowa.
- 3.27.2020 SNAP/Food Assistance Benefits expansion, Walmart and Amazon use for qualified foods, extensions, and more. See the announcement here.
- 3.26.2020 DHS offices are open by appointment only. Call your local office or look at their website online. View their local letter here.Update: Lee county is now able to accept appointments.
- Temporary Job Opportunities and Updates from Iowa Department of Workforce Development
- Iowa Legal Aid has a GREAT collection of resource information on how the law and governor’s proclamations apply to people in a crisis, their rights, rent, mortgages, court orders, unemployment, abuse, etc.
- Answers Now by Iowa State Extension Office has online events, resources, and information. Call, text, email or research their site. Offering free one-on-one financial conversations as well.
- Live updated childcare availability map Following Governor Reynold’s announcement of the importance of childcare availability for essential workers, the map went live illustrating real time availability of child care throughout the state.
- Are you a part of a credit union? Your small business (less than 5 people) may qualify for the Emergency Relief Fund.
Emotional Support Resources
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
- NAMI Crisis general hotline (800) 950-NAMI
- Crisis Text Line 24/7: HOME to 741741 to connect to a counselor
- SAMHSA Disaster Distress helpline 24/7 365 days: 1-800-985-5990
- Mental Health – Your Life Iowa Statewide Crisis Line (855) 581-8111
- Iowa Disaster Behavioral Health Response Team
- Mental Health America has some great information and resources
- Christian Century – advice for spiritually caring for others
- Iowa Concern Hotline 800-447-1985
- AA online meetings: Locally groups meeting online: http://www.aaquadcities.org/virtual/ or groups from far and wide http://aa-intergroup.org/directory.php
Self Care Resources
- Mental Health and Coping During COVID-19 | CDC
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus): A Parent Resource
- Managing Stress and Anxiety – COVID-19 (General recommendations with sub-population guidance)
- Five Tips for Managing Remotely During COVID-19
General COVID-19 information:
- Iowa Website for everything COVID-19 related: https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/
- Greater Burlington COVID-19 page: https://www.greaterburlington.com/covid19
- Henry county updates and resources: http://healthyhenrycounty.org/publichealth/community-updates/
- Iowa Department of Public Health: https://idph.iowa.gov/Emerging-Health-Issues/Novel-Coronavirus
- National CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- World Health Organization (WHO): https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
- Newsroom of Governor Kim Reynolds on updates and recommendations: https://governor.iowa.gov/newsroom
- University of Iowa Resource Page for Iowa Non-Profits
- Resources in other languages from the CDC and other national organizations
- US Dept. of Homeland Security (FEMA) – Rumor Control & Misinformation
- Official Resource Portals listed