Many community partners come together to make the local annual Paint-A-Thons a success. Area partners work together to identify homes, make necessary repairs, recruit volunteers, and do the painting to beautify homes.
Eligible homes are to be single story or small one and a half story houses owned by a person 60 or older, or disabled, or a single parent, or a veteran, with limited income, who is unable to afford to hire the work done.
The Fort Madison Paint-A-Thon focuses on homes within their city limits. They finished their third year in 2020 with these partners: Kempker’s True Value & Rental, Community Action of Southeast Iowa, Iowa Fertilizer Company, Climax, Scotts, Siemens, FMCH, Connection Bank & Insurance, Midwest One Bank, KLM Realty, Lee County Bank, Farmers Savings Bank, ConAgra, and Union Presbyterian Church in Fort Madison.
- Read more about the Fort Madison Paint-A-Thon from the Daily Democrat here.
The Burlington Paint-A-Thon is a collaborative effort between Community Action of Southeast Iowa, Two Rivers Bank, Diamond Vogel Paint, and many area volunteers. The event started in 1993 and is held at the beginning of September each year.
- In 26 years over 11,000 volunteers have helped paint over 500 homes in Des Moines County using over 8,000 gallons of paint.
- Two Rivers Bank provides the advertising, pays for volunteer t-shirts and a luncheon. Diamond Vogel supplies all the paint that is used and Community Action helps choose the houses to be painted and does small repairs on the houses if necessary.
- They have taken a break in 2020, what would have been the 27th year, due to pandemic concerns.
- Read about the Burlington 2019 Paint-A-Thon from the Hawkeye here.
For more information on how to get involved, please call Jim O’Neill at (319) 572-1176 or (319) 753-9100 or Community Action at 319-753-0193.
Applications are not being accepted at this time. Fort Madison applications are generally released in the spring. Burlington applications are generally released in June and due by mid July.
The Press Release regarding the 2019 Paint-A-Thon.
An article from The Hawkeye about the Paint-A-Thon 2019.
An article from The Hawkeye about the Paint-A-Thon 2018.