Community Action of Southeast Iowa is able to assist in completion of forms for those who qualify for Rent Reimbursement through the Iowa IRS. You may set up an appointment at your local center.

2020 Iowa Rent Reimbursement claims can be filed until December 31, 2022.

2021 Iowa Rent Reimbursement claims can be filed until December 31, 2023.

Who can file for rent reimbursement?

You can file for 2021 if you meet all of the following requirements: 

  • You were 65 years of age or older, OR disabled and 18 or older
  • Your income was less than $24,354
  • You lived in Iowa and still live in Iowa now
  • You paid rent in Iowa at a property that pays property tax 

Bring to your appointment or have on hand:

  • Documentation of rent paid (one of the following three)
    • Lease or rental agreement
    • Rent receipts
    • Letter from the landlord (on a letterhead) including landlord information
  • Documentation of how much HUD or Section 8 paid for the year.
    • This may be obtained from HUD, Section 8, or possibly from your housing apartment manager.
  • FULL YEAR income documentation for the household
    • Bring all that apply:
      • SSA Form 1099, SSDI, VA, and Railroad Disability Income, Child Support, Alimony, FIP, Children’s SSI, Welfare payments, Gambling income, Letter of full year income from Social Security Administration, W-2 or taxes
  • Landlord information for each place where rent was paid
    • Landlord or Company Name
    • Address and phone number
  • If disabled AND under the age of 65: award letter stating date became disabled or SSA Form 1099.

Rent Reimbursement is a refund through the Iowa IRS. Community Action has no control over this program, when, how, or if you will receive reimbursement. Reimbursement can take 3 months or longer.

For questions regarding your refund you may call the Iowa IRS at 1-800-572-3944 automated line or the Des Moines Iowa Center 1-800-367-3388 or input your information on their website: