Families building on their strengths to reach their goals
The FaDSS (Family Development and Self-Sufficiency) Program can help you achieve economic and social self-sufficiency and reach the quality of life you want for yourself and your children.
What is FaDSS?
- A voluntary program for families who are receiving Family Investment Program (FIP) benefits in Iowa.
- A partnership with a Family Development Specialist.
- An in-home program so you won’t have to worry about childcare and transportation for appoinintments.
- Designed to overcome barriers identified by families.
- A great opportunity for you to build upon your family’s strengths in order to achieve self-sufficiency.
Who is Eligible?
You are eligible if you or one of your household members receive benefits through the Family Investment Program (FIP)
What is a Family Development Specialist?
A Family Development Specialist is an advocate who is trained to assist you and your family identify, plan and achieve goals. Your Specialist will assist you to access and benefit from community resources. Your Specialist will provide you with encouragement and support to help your family to move ahead, one step at a time.
How does the FaDSS Program work?
A FaDSS Specialist will meet with you at least once a month and:
- Help you take a look at your family’s strengths as well as areas where you would like to make improvements.
- Work with you to identify your goals and make plans to reach them.
- Build confidence in your abilities and assist you to advocate for yourself.
How will FaDSS help my family?
FaDSS will help your family to:
- Learn skills to become independent of FIP benefits
- Learn to set goals and plan for the future
- Learn to maintain a healthy family environment
- Obtain emergency financial assistance
How can I join the FaDSS program?
Call your local Community Action Center to speak to someone from FaDSS. You may also ask your PROMISE JOBS or DHS worker for a referral to the FaDSS Program.
Information from the Iowa Department of Human Rights regarding FaDSS.